CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Question for anyone with boys

So does anyone out there have any great ideas on how I can get my 2 1/2 year old to go potty in the potty?! I have tried everything! I have tried the reward with a treat when he goes potty in the potty. I have tried the reward with a treat for being dry, and then another if he goes in the potty too. I have tried the lets both go sit on the potty and go poop, after meals, and drink a juice box. I have tried Pull ups that turn cold when they pee in them. I have tried putting the training underwear on him and just let him pee in his pants and have it run down his leg! The reward with a treat works, but only when he feels like it. Has never worked for going poop in the potty though. The treat for being dry when we checked him worked for about half a day. Then he could care less and didn't even want me to check if he was dry. The lets both try to go works sometimes for pee, but we sit and we sit for poop and it never happens. Then 20 minutes later it does in the diaper. The Pull ups he thought were cool, but could care less about the coldness when he went pee. The training underwear, he just stood there and peed and looked at his pants as it soaked in and ran down his leg. Then said, "wet". I said lets go to the potty. His answer, "no". People have told me, he will do it when he is ready. Yeah, well I tells us when he is going to go poop. So think he is ready, he is just to stubborn and lazy, I think. His thoughts are, "Hey if I can just keep playing and go in my diaper and then mom or dad change me, that is less work." I'll do that!"
So anyone out there had a recent success story of potty training a stubborn, lazy boy?! Please inform me of your trick! Thank you!

3 comments:

Susie said...

My husband says I am just obsessing about it too much. Am I really?

Lois Holman said...

I do not think you are obsessing about it to much - it's a real concern to any mom! My advice would be persistence and patience - a little bit every day and don't let him see you're frustrated. Other moms will probably have tricks that helped with them.

Mom

Jenny said...

For real, you just have to wait until they are ready. It's one thing they have control over. You can NOT make a kid poop or pee and they know it.
I tried too hard with Rebecca and she actually went backwards. With the boys I was way more laid back and they both surprised me. I think they were both close to three by the time they did it, but when they did, it was day AND night.
I have no advice if he is still wearing a diaper at age four. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
By the way, I've never heard of a Kindergartener yet who carried his own diaper bag to school. Take heart!